At F5, we believe that world-changing ideas should not be limited by an individual’s gender, race, nationality, or socio-economic status. F5 is committed to helping build the pipeline of tomorrow’s changemakers and future leaders through Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) Impact Grants, and by investing in global programs to increase access to STEM education and career opportunities for girls, youth of color, women, and other traditionally underrepresented groups.
In order to be eligible for a grant your organization must meet these minimum requirements:
- Nonprofit organizations must be on the valid nonprofit registry as defined by local laws and regulations of the country in which it is located.
- Nonprofit organizations from outside the U.S. will need to complete international nonprofit vetting process called Enhanced Expenditure Responsibility (EER) managed by our international grantmaking partner, CAF America. If selected for a grant, F5 will cover the vetting fees for this process.
- Nonprofit organizations must have been in operation as a legally registered nonprofit for at least three (3) years in order to receive a grant from the F5 Foundation.
What we most look for in a potential grantee partner:
- Alignment to our focus area of increasing access of science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) education for women, girls and underserved youth in communities where our employees live and work. See F5 office locations here.
- The organization or population served in the requested grant must be for an audience of economically underserved individuals relative to the average standards of the target geography and/or serve a historically disenfranchised group.
- Proven history of success and impact.
- Commitment to measurable results and evaluation- grant proposes clear path to positive and measurable results, i.e., through quality measurement systems that can demonstrate the delivery of meaningful results (providing grant progress updates at 6 months and 12 months).
- Engagement or volunteering opportunities where F5 employees can add value, if applicable.
What we do not provide grants for:
- Fundraising or one-time events such as raffles, galas, telethons, or auctions
- Sponsorship of events such as conferences, symposiums or sporting events
- Individuals, political, labor, religious, fraternal organizations or sports groups
- Memberships to any groups or organizations where there are tangible benefits/goods or services received in return
- Organizations that discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, disability, marital status, medical condition, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity expression or veteran’s status.
For all grants to be made outside of the United States where the F5 Foundation is based the nonprofit selected to receive the grant will need to complete an Enhanced Expenditure Responsibility (EER) application managed by the F5 Foundation’s international grantmaking partner, CAF America, prior to receiving funding.
The Enhanced Expenditure Responsibility (EER) process provides us with the ability to guarantee that the organizations we support are operating in compliance with all relevant international and local laws.
The Enhanced Expenditure Responsibility application does not need to be completed until you have been notified your grant has been selected to be funded. Once prompted to complete your Enhanced Expenditure Responsibility application the staff at CAF America will assist you in its completion and ensuring all of the required materials have been received.
Eligibility to receive grants funding from the F5 Foundation will be contingent based on the successful completion of CAF America’s Enhanced Expenditure Responsibility approval.
If you currently have an active status in CAF America by previously having completed an Enhanced Expenditure Responsibility with them then you will not need to complete another one for your grant from the F5 Foundation.
Once you have completed the Enhanced Expenditure Responsibility process, review from CAF America will take 4-6 weeks for confirmation and for the funding to be sent.
- Once a nonprofit has completed the Enhanced Expenditure Responsibility, allow 4-6 weeks for the file to be reviewed
- Grants are one-time only grants. Applicants can apply for multiple grants per granting cycle.
- Grant funding will come from the F5 Foundation’s international grantmaking partner, CAF America from the F5 Foundation’s Donor Advised Fund (DAF).
- All grants are transmitted via wire transfer.
- F5 will cover the fees associated with completing the Enhanced Expenditure Responsibility.
March 18, 2020
Application deadline - extended
July 3, 2020 at 12:00pm Pacific Time
Grant application review
July 3, 2020- August 7, 2020
Grant partners announced. All applicants will be notified on grant decisions.
August 14, 2020
The F5 Foundation will request an informal grant progress update after 6 months from when the grant was issued and then will contact your organization for a final report after 12 months from when the grant was issued. If your project will not be completed within 12 months from when the grant was provided it will be requested you provide a report once the project concludes.
For questions related to F5’s Global Good program, questions on the application or assistance in completing the application, please contact email@example.com.
All grant applications must be submitted electronically. The application cannot be saved and returned to complete at a later time therefore, it is suggested to review the application questions below in advance to completing the application.
Please note the maximum character limit for the entire application is 16,000 characters, and the maximum character limit for each answer is 4,000 characters.
To complete the application for a STEM Education Impact grant click here. Note this application link is for nonprofits that are based outside of the United States. Application deadline is July 3, 2020 at 12:00pm Pacific Time.
Section 1: Organizational Background
Briefly describe the following:
- Organization name
- The stated mission of your organization
- Your organizational background: its history and the range of programs it currently offers
- The length of time in which your organization has been in operation
- Has your organization received a grant from F5 or the F5 Foundation in the past? Y/N
- If you answered yes to question 5 detail the amount, year and project/program funded
- What was your organization's previous years' operating budget?
Section 2: Overview
This overview is intended to provide a high-level summary of the proposal, in addition to the more specific information requested in the sections that follow. Please provide:
- Contact name, title, phone number and mailing address
- The name of the project for which you are requesting funding
- A description of the project for which you are requesting funding
- A brief description of the direct beneficiaries of this project, including gender, age and race of the population/s served by your project, indicating a percentage of your efforts/funds that go toward that population grouping (for example: girls ages 18-24, 60%)
- The areas (city and country) served by this project
- The total number of individuals this project will serve
- The total budget for the project - identifying any confirmed co-funders being applied to the proposed project
Section 3: Project Description & Evidence-base
This section is intended to provide background on the project/program including budget, issue you are trying to solve for, target population, research used to inform decision-making and recruitment strategy.
- Amount requested from the F5 Foundation in U.S. dollar (USD)
- Please include the project budget in USD
- What is the problem or issue you are trying to address or solve for?
- Please describe how you use research to inform your program’s strategy
- Tell us about the group or community to be served by your project, and the need for this project in that community
- Describe how you will intentionally recruit and support the target beneficiaries in this project as stated previously
- Describe any partners on which the project’s success is dependent. Identify key partners involved in shaping the project
Section 4: Outcomes & Measurement
This section is intended to understand what your organization’s goals with this project, how you intend to measure these targets and provide background on what your current infrastructure is to conduct measurement and evaluation.
- Please describe each outcome anticipated as a result of this project (the outcome is the change you expect as a result of the project)
- Please indicate targets for each outcome
- Please describe your organization’s existing approach and infrastructure to conduct measurement, evaluation, and reporting of program outcomes
Section 5: Engagement & Promotion
This section is intended to share if or how you plan to promote this partnership, what engagement currently looks like with F5 employees and if there is opportunity for further engagement/volunteerism with F5 employees.
- Please describe in detail what opportunities of engagement/volunteerism for F5 employees would be available, if applicable
- Do you currently have F5 employees serving in any board roles or have a relationship with a specific F5 office/team? If so, who and where are they located?
- Please describe in detail if or how you plan to promote or recognize the grant partnership with the F5 Foundation
Section 6: Implementation
This section is intended to share what your implementation timeline is and how you address any challenges you may encounter during this timeline.
- Please describe the approximate timeline for implementation of your project
- Please describe any challenges you may encounter during implementation.
Section 7: Final Submission Confirmation
- You confirm you are a charitable/nonprofit organization in the country in which you operate:
- Yes, our organization is a nonprofit organization
- No, but our organization has a nonprofit fiscal sponsor
- No, our organization is not a nonprofit organization or does not have a nonprofit fiscal sponsor
- You confirm your nonprofit organization has been legally in operation for at least 3 years: Y/N
- You acknowledge that per F5’s international grant vetting process your grant will be contingent upon the completion and approval of the Enhanced Expenditure Responsibility process administered by CAF America, F5’s international grantmaking partner? Note: F5 will cover the cost of the vetting fees Y/N
- How did you hear about the F5 Foundation grants?
- F5 website
- Social media
- F5 employee
- Word of mouth
- F5 Global Good program
- You confirm you will be able to provide grant progress reports at 6 months, 12 months and/or project completion: Y/N/Other
- If selected for a grant, do you consent to have your name and logo to be used on F5’s website, communications, in video and/or in social media to announce the partnership? Y/N
Apply at for your grant here by 12pm Pacific Time on July 3, 2020.