At F5, we believe that world-changing ideas should not be limited by an individual’s gender, race, nationality, or socio-economic status. F5 is committed to helping build the pipeline of tomorrow’s changemakers and future leaders through STEM Impact Grants, and by investing in global programs to increase access to STEM education and career opportunities for girls, youth of color, women, and other traditionally underrepresented groups.
In order to be eligible for a grant your organization must meet these minimum requirements:
- Nonprofit organizations in the United States must be recognized by the IRS as tax exempt under Internal Revenue Code Section 501 (c)(3) and classified by the IRS as a public charity.
- Nonprofit organizations must have been in operation as a legally registered nonprofit for at least three (3) years in order to receive a grant from the F5 Foundation.
What we most look for in a potential grantee partner:
- Alignment to our focus area of increasing access of science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) education for women and girls of color and underserved youth in communities where our employees live and work.
- The organization or population served in the requested grant must serve be at least 50% women of color.
- The organization or population served in the requested grant must be for an audience of economically underserved individuals relative to the average standards of the target geography and/or serve a historically disenfranchised group.
- Proven history of success and impact.
- Commitment to measurable results and evaluation- grant proposes clear path to positive and measurable results, i.e., through quality measurement systems that can demonstrate the delivery of meaningful results (providing grant progress updates at 6 months and 12 months)
- Engagement or volunteering opportunities where F5 employees can add value, if applicable.
What we do not provide grants for:
- Fundraising or one-time events such as raffles, galas, telethons, or auctions;
- Sponsorships of events such as galas, auction, conferences, symposiums or sporting events;
- Individuals, political, labor, religious, fraternal organizations or sports groups;
- Memberships to any groups or organizations where there is a non-tax-deductible benefit received;
- Social enterprises or any organization that is not a 501(c)(3) nonprofit;
- Organizations that discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, disability, marital status, medical condition, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity expression or veteran’s status.
- Grants are one-time only grants. Applicants can apply for multiple grants per granting cycle.
- Funding will come from the Seattle Foundation where the F5 Foundation is housed in as a Donor Advised Fund (DAF).
March 18, 2020
May 13, 2020 at 12:00 Pacific Time
Grant application review
May 13, 2020- June 14, 2020
Grant partners announced. All applicants will be notified on grant decisions.
June 15, 2020
The F5 Foundation will request an informal grant progress update after 6 months from when the grant was issued and then will contact your organization for a final report after 12 months from when the grant was issued. If your project will not be completed within 12 months from when the grant was provided it will be requested you provide a report once the project concludes.
For questions related to F5’s Global Good program, questions on the application or assistance in completing the application, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
All grant applications must be submitted electronically. The application cannot be saved and returned to complete at a later time therefore, it is suggested to review the application questions below in advance to completing the application. After you submit your application you will receive an email confirming it has been received. If you have not received a confirmation email, please contact GlobalGood@f5.com to confirm your application has been received.
To complete the application for a STEM Education Impact grant click here. Note this application link is for nonprofits based in the United States. Application deadline is May 13, 2020 at 12:00 Pacific Time.
Section 1: Organizational Background
Briefly describe the following:
- Organization name
- The stated mission of your organization
- Your organizational background: its history and the range of programs it currently offers
- The length of time in which your organization has been in operation
- Has your organization received a grant from F5 or the F5 Foundation in the past? Y/N
- If you answered yes to question 5 detail the amount, year and project/program funded
- What was your organization's previous years' operating budget?
Section 2: Overview
This overview is intended to provide a high-level summary of the proposal, in addition to the more specific information requested in the sections that follow. Please provide:
- Contact name, title, phone number and mailing address
- The name of the project for which you are requesting funding
- A description of the project for which you are requesting funding
- A brief description of the direct beneficiaries of this project, including gender, age and race of the population/s served by your project, indicating a percentage of your efforts/funds that go toward that population grouping (for example: Black women ages 18-24, 60%)
- The areas (city and state) served by this project
- The total number of individuals this project will serve
- The total budget for the project - identifying any confirmed co-funders being applied to the proposed project
Section 3: Project Description & Evidence-base
This section is intended to provide background on the project/program including budget, issue you are trying to solve for, target population, research used to inform decision-making and recruitment strategy.
- Amount requested from the F5 Foundation in USD
- Please include the project budget in USD
- What is the problem or issue you are trying to address or solve for?
- Please describe how you use research to inform your program’s strategy
- Tell us about the group or community to be served by your project, and the need for this project in that community
- Describe how you will intentionally recruit and support the target beneficiaries in this project as stated previously
- Describe any partners on which the project’s success is dependent. Identify key partners involved in shaping the project
Section 4: Outcomes & Measurement
This section is intended to understand what your organization’s goals with this project, how you intend to measure these targets and provide background on what your current infrastructure is to conduct measurement and evaluation.
- Please describe each outcome anticipated as a result of this project (the outcome is the change you expect as a result of the project)
- Please indicate targets for each outcome, including quantitative baselines and goals whenever possible
- Please describe your organization’s existing approach and infrastructure to conduct measurement, evaluation, and reporting of program outcomes
Section 5: Engagement & Promotion
This section is intended to share if or how you plan to promote this partnership, what engagement currently looks like with F5 employees and if there is opportunity for further engagement/volunteerism with F5 employees.
- Please describe in detail what opportunities of engagement/volunteerism for F5 employees would be available, if applicable
- Do you currently have F5 employees serving in any board roles or have a relationship with a specific F5 office/team? If so, who and where are they located?
- Please describe in detail if or how you plan to promote or recognize the grant partnership with the F5 Foundation
Section 6: Implementation
This section is intended to share what your implementation timeline is and how you address any challenges you may encounter during this timeline.
- Please describe the approximate timeline for implementation of your project
- Please describe any challenges you may encounter during implementation. What indicators will you monitor to ensure that you prevent those challenges from becoming major obstacles?
Section 7: Final Submission Confirmation
- You confirm you are a 501(c)(3) charitable organization or have a fiscal sponsor 501(c)(3): Yes, our organization is a 501(c)(3)
- Yes, our organization is a 501(c)(3)
- Yes, our organization has a 501(c)(3) fiscal sponsor
- No, our organization is not a 501(c)(3) and does not have a fiscal sponsor
- You confirm your nonprofit organization has been legally in operation for at least 3 years: Y/N
- How did you hear about the F5 Foundation grants?
- F5 website
- Social media
- F5 employee
- Word of mouth
- F5 Global Good program
- You confirm you will be able to provide grant progress reports at 6 months, 12 months and/or project completion: Y/N/Other
- Do you consent to have your name and logo to be used on F5’s website, communications, in video and/or in social media to announce the partnership? Y/N/Maybe
Apply for your grant here by 12 Pacific Time on May 13th, 2020.