SSL offloading relieves a Web server of the processing burden of encrypting and/or decrypting traffic sent via SSL, the security protocol that is implemented in every Web browser. The processing is offloaded to a separate device designed specifically to perform SSL acceleration or SSL termination.
SSL termination capability is particularly useful when used in conjunction with clusters of SSL VPNs, because it greatly increases the number of connections a cluster can handle.
BIG-IP® Local Traffic Manager with the SSL Acceleration Feature Module performs SSL offloading.
F5 products that support SSL Offloading:
- BIG-IP Local Traffic Manager
- SSL Acceleration Feature Module
Additional resources about SSL Offloading:
- The ROI of Application Delivery Controllers in Traditional and Virtualized Environments
- Offloading Remote Authentication for Servers
- F5 Next Generation Hardware: Getting More for Less
- Best Practice Deployment of Acceleration Solutions Based on ROI